[Avodah] hand shake

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 2 10:45:59 PDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 07:02:17AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Listened to a shiur where the magid shiur said that R'X used to advise
> job interviewees to use the dead fish handshake, then later advised the
> iron man handshake until he was told that each of those would not get
> you a job. Now he advises a firm, quick business-like handshake. May I
> vent - I heard R'X say these things over the years and always wondered
> who he had asked about the real world. How many job opportunities
> were lost?? etc.?? How much of a responsibility does a poseik have to
> determine "reality"? (Another example - toveiling electronics)

I think the underlying disconnect is that this rabbi (if it is who I
think it is) assumes YU is still in the world of the Rav's YU. Where if
a poseiq says something that doesn't jibe with experience, the sho'el
would say "But wouldn't that be bad for my job interview?" However, to
the extent that YU people now unconsciously have some carry over from
chareidi da'as Torah thinking, and aren't asking, R' X isn't getting
the corrections he assumed he would be.

As for toveling electronics, your experience differs from mine. I have
a pet peeve about florescent bulbs, where the oft-repeated statement
that they're less problematic than incandescent (ie: old school) bulbs
is inconsistent with what I learned studying Electrical Engineering.
But there it's not halakhah lemaaseh. Anyway, how did I get here? Oh
yeah, I think that if rabbanim were saying things inconsistent with
how electronics work, it would have touched the same raw nerve. So I
am concluding I don't encounter it.

Micha Berger                 Education is not the filling of a bucket,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but the lighting of a fire.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - W.B. Yeats
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF