[Avodah] Corona related questions

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 26 15:02:56 PDT 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:24:16PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:29:28PM +1100, Dr. Isaac Balbin via Avodah wrote:
>>> 1. You see or know of a minyan, kibbutz anashim, etc that are breaching
>>> government Corona guidelines. Do you have a chiyuv to report them vis
>>> a vis Lo Sa'amod?

>> I think an earlier post already told us that RAEiger held yes.

>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 09:42:51PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>>> There is a letter from Rabbi Akiva Eiger (Igeres Sofrim #29) ...

> No, that letter doesn't tell us anything about R Yitzchok's question. In
> that case there was no government regulation or guideline.  RAE suggested
> that the *Jews* impose a restriction on themselves, and ask the government
> to send a policeman to enforce it.  And not by punishing people who break it
> (impossible, since they would have broken no law) but simply by preventing
> them from entering the shul while it was at capacity.    So we don't know
> how RAE would answer the question posed here.

If the town's rabbis believe a certain measure is necessary for
medical reasons, but there is no similar law, then it is okay to ask
the magistrate to get the police to enforce it. But, if they believe
the measure is necessary AND it is necessary by law, it's not okay to
have the police there to break up any violations?

Are you assuming that the government might imprison or fine violators,
rather than prevent or break up violations? Because this isn't what
is happening in any of the stories I know of. I didn't think that was
even an option in play when I used your post to answer R/DIB's.

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
Author: Widen Your Tent      in fact, of our modesty.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF            -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)