[Avodah] Corona related questions

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Mar 26 09:24:16 PDT 2020

On 25/3/20 6:37 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:29:28PM +1100, Dr. Isaac Balbin via Avodah wrote:
>> 1. You see or know of a minyan, kibbutz anashim, etc that are breaching
>> government Corona guidelines. Do you have a chiyuv to report them vis
>> a vis Lo Sa'amod?
>
> I think an earlier post already told us that RAEiger held yes.
>
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 09:42:51PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> There is a letter from Rabbi Akiva Eiger (Igeres Sofrim #29) about a cholera
>> epidemic, in which he suggests that minyanim be limited to 15 men each,
>> davening in shifts starting at dawn, and each person be assigned a minyan
>> that he is to attend.  He also suggested that the government be asked to
>> station a policeman at the shul door to enforce the 15-man maximum.

No, that letter doesn't tell us anything about R Yitzchok's question.
In that case there was no government regulation or guideline.  RAE
suggested that the *Jews* impose a restriction on themselves, and ask
the government to send a policeman to enforce it.  And not by punishing
people who break it (impossible, since they would have broken no law)
but simply by preventing them from entering the shul while it was at
capacity.    So we don't know how RAE would answer the question posed here.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy Pesach
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper