[Avodah] The 5780th Pasuk

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 25 14:33:51 PDT 2020

There is a tradition that every year's events are hinted at in the
corresponding pasuq.

So, for example, the 5,746th pasuq is Devarim 31:24:
   Vayhi kekhalos Moshe likhtov...
Which is an interesting pasuq to find in the pasuq corresponding to
the year of RMF's petirah.

So, someone looked up 5,780, Devarim 32:28:
   Ki goy oveid eitzos heimah
   ve'ein bahem tevunah.

Of course, I don't know what to make of that. <grin>

OTOH, talmidei haGra have a tradition that Maaseh Bereishis corresponds
to the first millenium, the rest of Bereishis to the 2nd, Shemos to
the third, etc... So that the Gra considered the year of his birth,
5,480, embodied in Devarim 25:25 (the 480th pasuq of Devarim):
   Even sheleimah vetzedeq yihyeh lekha...
>From which the seifer Even Sheleimah gets its name. And it hints at
"R Eliyahu Shelomo".

This is why so many Talmidei haGra made aliyah in 5,601. Because the
601st pasuq of Devarim is the title pasuq of Ki-Savo:
   Vehayah ki savo el ha'aretz...

(I guess they did not agree with the Rambam's ban on lachashov es
haqeitz.)

Micha Berger                 A cheerful disposition is an inestimable treasure.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   It preserves health, promotes convalescence,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and helps us cope with adversity.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF       - R' SR Hirsch, "From the Wisdom of Mishlei"