[Avodah] shtarei hedyotot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 11 13:28:21 PDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 05:35:57PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> This reminded me of tshuvot that explain why we ignore the lifesaving
> priorities in Horiyot based on "it's difficult to abide..."

What the "this" was aside, I didn't think that's why we ignore those
priorities. Rather, it ends up never being halakhah lemaaseh even from
day one.

The mishnah itself says these priorities are "all else being equal". And
all else is never equal. The reisha is just one triage factor among many.

The problem, thus, isn't abiding, but in deciding which mamzer is enough
of a talmid chakham to go ahead of the kohein gadol, or which baal chessed
outranks the innate qedushah of a kohein. Or... Lack of ability to assess,
not lack of emotional constitution to follow through.

Micha Berger                 Problems are not stop signs,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   they are guidelines.
Author: Widen Your Tent              - Robert H. Schuller
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF