[Avodah] Using Bein Adam laMakom to Motivate Bein Adam laChaveiro

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jan 17 09:42:58 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:00:45PM -0500, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 04:19:56PM -0500, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
>> An interesting exercise (I heard this in a shiur once): for those who are
>> shul rabbis here, or are close to a shul rabbi, ask them: how many
>> questions do they get on BALM (kashrus, shabbos, niddah) vs RALCh (lashon
>> harah, tochacha, tzedakah, even ribbis)?

> Other illustrations:

Here's something I hope is NOT an example, but my cynical side was
triggered.

The gemara on BQ 38a explains the mishnah which says "shor shel Yisrael
shenagach shor shel Kenaani -- patur." The gemara says that since they
do not keep the 7 mitzvos, hitir memonam leYisrael".

There is a Shitah Mequbetzes on BQ 38a this (#1, d"h Re'eih sheva mitzvos)
which says (off-the-cuff translation of the full comment):
     Mashma that all who DO observer the 7 mitzvos, their law
     [neziqin? dinei mamonos in general? with regard to us is our law
     with regard to them. And now there is no need to speak about umos
     hagedoros bedarkei datos venimusim (Meiri z"t)

See a daf image at
https://beta.hebrewbooks.org/pagefeed/hebrewbooks_org_36079_73.pdf
or
http://images.e-daf.com/DafImg.asp?ID=2864&size=2

It was edited out of the Oz veHadar edition, and therefore doesn't appear
in OvH including Mesivta, the OvH dafim used in Schottenstein editions,
nor even Sefaria (see
<https://www.sefaria.org/Bava_Kamma.38a.7?lang=he&with=Shita%20Mekubetzet&lang2=he> "No connections known for Shita Mekubetzet here.")!

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I awoke and found that life was duty.
Author: Widen Your Tent      I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabindranath Tagore