[Avodah] Vayeira (from Rav Kook Torah "Salt of Sodom")

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Nov 10 06:50:06 PST 2019

The Talmud makes a surprising connection between the evil city of Sodom and the ritual of washing hands at meals. The Sages decreed that one should wash hands before and after eating bread. Why?

The underlying motif of washing hands is ritual purification, similar to immersion in a mikve. The rabbinical decree to wash hands before meals is based on the purification the Kohanim underwent before eating their teruma offerings.

The Talmud, however, gives a rather odd rationale for "mayim acharonim", washing hands after the meal. The Sages explained that this washing removes the salt of Sodom, a dangerous salt that can blind the eyes. [Chulin 105b]

What is this Sodomite salt? What does it have to do with purification? How does it blind the eyes?

Rav Kook explained that to answer to these questions we must understand the basis for the immorality of Sodom. The people of Sodom were obsessed with fulfilling their physical desires. Their concentration on self-gratification led to selfish, egocentric behavior. They expended all of their efforts chasing after material pleasures. No energy was left for helping the stranger; no time remained for kindness towards others.

Eating a meal obviously involves sensual pleasure.  The rabbis feared that since we eat several times every day, the importance of spirituality that truly perfects man can be decreased. As a preventive measure, the Sages decreed that we wash our hands before eating. This ritual impresses upon us the imagery that we are like the Kohanim, eating "holy" bread baked from teruma. The physical meal we are about to partake now assumes a spiritual dimension.

Despite this preparation, the act of eating may to some extent reduce our holiness. Therefore, washing after the meal comes to counteract this negative influence. We wash away the salt of Sodom, the residue of selfish preoccupation in sensual pleasures. This dangerous salt, which can blind our eyes to the needs of others, is rendered harmless through the purification of "mayim acharonim".    [Ayn Aya I:21]

Religion is for people who are scared to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there. Bonnie Raitt

Physical strength can never permanently withstand the impact of spiritual force.  F.D.R.