[Avodah] parnassa segula

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 31 08:49:51 PDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:46:14PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> A caterer recently told me that a segula for parnassa is to wrap
> leftover bread separately for disposal. Anyone know the source (I
> couldn't find it) although I'm guessing it's based on Chulin 105b
> (getting rid of even crumbs directly can cause poverty - at least in
> certain cases)....

The AhS OC 180:4 says that the worry about crumbs had to do with the
Roman shulchan, which was a small one-person thing. And if you permitted
the staff to take the table out without gathering the crumbs, they would
likely do so even with bigger-than-kezayis pieces. (He even mentions a
discussion in the gemara that allows hiring an am ha'aretz as a shamah.)
But we today don't take the table out when not eating. (Which is why
we need a ke'ara to remove or cover and then restore, as appropriate,
at the seder.)

The AhS says the problem is that people who wash before bread will
disgracefully treat the bread on the floor from previous meals.

The MB s"q 10 records a chumerah of not throwing out crumbs that total
a kezayis. And, in accordance with the AhS's description of the motive,
warns you not to walk on any bread crumbs.

Micha Berger                 In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    a spirit of purity.      - Rav Yisrael Salanter