[Avodah] parnassa segula

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Oct 30 22:02:59 PDT 2019

On 29/10/19 7:46 pm, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> A caterer recently told me that a segula for parnassa is to wrap
> leftover bread separately for disposal. Anyone know the source (I
> couldn’t find it) although I’m guessing it’s based on Chulin 105b
> (getting rid of even crumbs directly can cause poverty – at least in
> certain cases).

It is indeed based on that.

> So should all bread (food?) be treated like tashmishei
> mitzvah for disposal? Is bread different from other foods (and why?) [Is
> kzayit a dividing line (and why)?]

Bread is different, because the gemara specifies bread, and yes, crumbs
smaller than a kezayit are beteilim and may be thrown out. AIUI one may
deliberately break up a large piece into pieces smaller than a kezayit
in order to throw them out.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5780 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper