[Avodah] Removing Ayin Horah Remotely from Yerusholayim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 1 03:30:57 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:57:01AM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
: As one of the commenters on the blog pointed out this is classic cold
: reading

We need to separate two concernts:
1- Does it work?
2- Is it Mutar?

I believe RNS would say it neither works nor is permissible. Whereas
RYGB would say is could well work, but would still be assur.

History says it's darkhei Emori. So the question could be how one
undestands the idea that something done for medince trumps derekh
Emori. Does the intent matir, or does it need to be established as
effective?

(And it culd well have been wrongsly "proven" effective, but lo nitnah
haTorah lemal'akhei hashareis.)

And why do the Chakhamim say (Shabbos 61a) prohibit carrying a foxes
tooth (even during the week)?

Micha Berger                 "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I am thought about, therefore I am -
Author: Widen Your Tent      my existence depends upon the thought of a
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch