[Avodah] Removing Ayin Horah Remotely from Yerusholayim

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 23:57:01 PDT 2019

As one of the commenters on the blog pointed out this is classic cold
reading

“I’m surprised at your surprise. This is classic cold reading. He listed
many, many possibilities at various degrees of vagueness. You say the he
accurately predicted the shoulder and arm pain, but what he actually
predicted was different: problems [not pain] in the right shoulder area
[not the right shoulder] OR some completely unrelated and very common
condition (stress from a close family member). As it turns out, point
prevalence of shoulder pain is up to 26% with lifetime incidence of
shoulder pain is up to 70%
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03009740310004667

The part where you gave him a second chance was also not surprising. You
didn't object to the "issue with her head around about nose height" so he
guessed sore throat another common malady.

His self-description of his own successes are of no probative value
whatsoever.

A much better test would be to identify 5 people with a given ailment and 5
without and let him tell you which is which. Your test had not real success
criterion nor were there any control subjects.”