[Avodah] Hallel and Tfillin

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jun 27 17:08:23 PDT 2019

On 26/6/19 6:05 pm, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Why do we take off tfillin before Hallel on Rosh Chodesh but before
> mussaf (for those who wear tfillin) on Chol Hamoed?
You have that backwards.

As I understand it, for those who daven Nusach Ashkenaz there is no
reason to remove tefillin at all on Rosh Chodesh.  People only do so
because the Shulchan Aruch says to, but as the Taz points out this only
applies to Nusach Sefarad/"Sfard", which says Keter/Kesser.  If you say
Nekadesh (or are davening without a minyan) the tefillin can stay on.

(Which leads me to wonder how Italians, who say Keter in every tefillah,
hold about the propriety of doing so in tefillin, and whether they too
remove them on Rosh Chodesh, and if so why.)

On Chol Hamoed I assume that once you've started on the "yomtov" portion
of the davening tefillin become a contradiction, so they come off.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper