[Avodah] Hallel and Tfillin

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 07:29:54 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:02 PM Rich, Joel via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:38 AM Rich, Joel via Avodah <
> avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>
> Why do we take off tfillin before Hallel on Rosh Chodesh but before mussaf
> (for those who wear tfillin) on Chol Hamoed?
>

> I'm not sure who "we" are. I don't wear tefillin on Hol Hamoe`d, but I
> have always seen tefillin taken off before mussaf on Rosh Hodesh. Are you
> saying that those who wear tefillin on Hol Hamoe`d shake the lulav with
> their tefillin on?

> Oops-I reversed them

Ha, well in that case I think I stumbled on the answer in my previous reply
-- one naturally removes the tefillin before netilat lulav because it would
be immensely incongruous to hold a lulav with tefillin on. Then on other
regalim one takes them off before Hallel for consistency.