[Avodah] Trop Metigah ("Kadma - Zakef Katon")

Aharon Gal galsaba at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 05:59:20 PDT 2019

I am curious to know how Ba’alei Keriah leins a word that has a Metigah.
I used the term Metigah, but there are other names to it. The Yemenites call it Dorban.
Some call it Kadma-Zakef Katon.  I don’t use this term, as the siman above the letter is not Kadma, it is only the same siman that Kadma uses.
Some call it Pashta Katon. I dont like this term either, for the same reason that I dont like the terem Kadma-Zakef Katon.

In a word like “לְבִ֨נְיָמִ֔ן” (Levinyamin), some emphasize both the the Zakef Katon and the “Kadma” (the “not kadma…”), which i dont know if this is correct or not,
because this “Kadma” is not a ta’am, but Metiga. Some treats it as a Meteg. But also those who treat it as a Meteg, or secondary accent, I am not sure if they need to
accent the letter under the metiga, or may be the metiga is always (almost) at the same place, but not necessarily the accent is (compare Telishot).
Most uses special nigun (“melody”) for a word that has Metiga-Zakef Katon, but I am curious to know if in addition to it they pronounce the Metiga as well.

Aharon