[Avodah] Avi Fishoff: Yeshiva Systems Needs Major Overhaul

Lawrence Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Jun 3 09:49:27 PDT 2019

>From https://is.gd/znrz8P

Brooklyn, NY - A well known and respected voice in the world of at risk behavior is calling for a drastic change to the religious education system, observing that the one-size-fits-all approach taken by many yeshivos is failing a substantial number of students.

In an 18 minute video, Avi Fishoff of TWiSTED PARENTiNG noted that in the post-war years, the educational system focused on producing students who could reinvigorate the Torah world by building yeshivos and other communal institutions.

Having successfully created that infrastructure, Fishoff said that the time has come to prioritize maximizing the potential of each child instead of encouraging every student to become a long term learner, a goal that leaves many feeling like failures.

“Otherwise we will have a majority of our children leaving the yeshiva world feeling like they are not a success, the hatzlacha that they were meant to be, which is false, and the result of that can be disastrous,” said Fishoff.

Please see the above URL for more.  In particular, there is a video at the end of this article that is well-worth seeing.

YL