[Avodah] Is it permissible to make early Yom Tov on the second day of Shavuos?

Lawrence Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Jun 3 08:42:19 PDT 2019

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. I know it is customary to wait to daven Maariv until after nightfall on the first evening of Shavuos. Is it permissible to make early Yom Tov on the second day of Shavuos?

A. The Taz (beginning of OC:494) writes that one should not daven Maariv on the first night of Shavuos before nightfall.  The counting of the 49 days of Sefira concludes with Shavuos.  If we daven Maariv before nightfall, we declare it to be Shavuos, and the last day of Sefira will have ended prematurely.

What about the second day of Shavuos?  The reasoning of the Taz would seemingly not apply since the Sefira was concluded a day earlier.  However, some poskim point out that it is inappropriate to start Yom Tov early on the second day of Shavuos as well, based on an additional comment of the Taz.  The Taz (OC 489:10) writes that one should count Sefira on the eighth day of Pesach before Kiddush.  By delaying the recitation of Kiddush, we preserve the Kedusha (sanctity) of the seventh day of Pesach, which is a Biblical Yom Tov, for a few extra moments, before initiating the Kedusha of the eighth day of Pesach, which is of Rabbinic nature.  The same argument can be applied to Shavuos:  It is inappropriate to daven Maariv on the second day of Shavuos before nightfall and diminish the sanctity of the first day of Shavuos, which is a Biblical Yom Tov.

The Minchas Yitzchak (10:41), based on the Kaf Hachaim, adds an additional concern.  If we begin Yom Tov early on the second day, it may lead to confusion, and people might start Yom Tov early on the first day as well.

The Minchas Yitzchak concludes that regarding both concerns, there are dissenting views, and if there is a strong need, such as for those who are ill, there is room to be lenient.

It should be noted that even if one starts the second day Yom Tov early, it is forbidden to begin preparations (such as lighting candles and warming food) for the second day until after nightfall.