[Avodah] Shva Na's etc.

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 23 10:17:02 PDT 2019

On Sun, May 19, at 1:39am EDT, R Michael Poppers wrote:
: ..                                         Last and not least, RSS z'l'
: is quoted <https://www.artscroll.com/Books/9781578195121.html> as
: advocating the "generally-accepted" l'shon CHaZAL of "shelo asani goy"
: as opposed to the "shelo asani nachri" emendation of a few grammarians
: (naming Heidenheim and Baer and leaving the 3rd name to the imagination) or
: "she'asani Yisrael".

It is unclear what nusach Chazal was, before censorship. Shu"t Zekher
Yehosef 1:13 prefers "shelo asani nakhri" on the grounds that that
was the gemara's original girsa.

"Shelo asani nakhri" is also the nusach some of the Gra's students record
as his nusach. Because "umi ke'amkha Yisrael goy echad ba'aretz" -- we
are a goy.

I think the change, for those who see "nakhri" as a change rather than a
restoration, is part of the same O Maskilim "correcting" Nusach Ashkenaz
in general to leshon Tanakh.

"Goy" as "[member of another] nation", rather than simply "nation"
starts with Chazal.

: RAM indicated a preference for "b*rachos" over "brachos", but I
: think he should reconsider (and I believe he did after our conversation).
: A sh'va (or, perhaps better, shva :)) is not a syllable unto itself
: (that said, poets can consider it a unit for poetic purposes, e.g. the
: 8 units in each phrase of "Y'did Nefesh"), but emphasizing a shva na',
: e.g. "b'rachos", could turn it into a chiriq...

True, so don't emphasize it. I don't think Hebrew is supposed to have
any consonant blends, including the /br/ you would end up with.

Maybe I should write it "b'rakhos", rather than "berakhos", but I wouldn't
write "brakhos", that just seems wrong.