[Avodah] Lashon haRa in the Shulchan Aruch

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 10 14:16:37 PDT 2019

> When did it become common for people to write halachah seforim on a single topic? It may just be too late at night,
> but I can't think of a single example offhand. Is it possible that the CC's
> pioneering look at Lashon Hara was not only that he pioneered looking at
> it, but that he was a pioneer of what we would call today (in Lakewood, at
> least), "specializing in a miktzo'a"?

I could easily be mistaken, but I thought this was not uncommon at all
during the pre-S"A days. Whether common or not, the Ramban wrotes some.
Encyclopedia Judaica notes: "Naḥmanides' known halakic works are:
"Mishpeṭe ha-Ḥerem," the laws concerning excommunication, reproduced in
"Kol Bo"; "Hilkot Bediḳah," on the examination of the lungs of
slaughtered animals, cited by Simeon ben Ẓemaḥ Duran in his "Yabin
Shemu'ah"; "Torat ha-Adam," on the laws of mourning and burial
ceremonies, in thirty chapters, the last of which, entitled "Sha'ar
ha-Gemul," deals with eschatology"

FWIW,

-- Sholom