[Avodah] Lashon haRa in the Shulchan Aruch

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:08:19 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:31 AM Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:11:10PM +0000, Joseph Kaplan via Avodah wrote:
> : It may, indeed, be that something changed. Or possibly not and it
> : may have been simply that this was an issue that the CC cared deeply
> : about and found that there wasn't as much halachic discussion about it
> : as he thought there should be...
>
> R' MB:

> My question is less about the CC and more about the lack of anyone prior
> to him.

<SNIP>

R' MB and R' JK put forward interesting arguments. A point occurred to me
but I have no idea if it's correct. When did it become common for people to
write halachah seforim on a single topic? It may just be too late at night,
but I can't think of a single example offhand. Is it possible that the CC's
pioneering look at Lashon Hara was not only that he pioneered looking at
it, but that he was a pioneer of what we would call today (in Lakewood, at
least), "specializing in a miktzo'a"?

KT,
MYG