[Avodah] women not doing work on rosh chodesh.

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 27 00:07:04 PDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:58:26AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: While the Shulchan Aruch mentions the practice of women not working on
: Rosh Chodesh in OC 417,His wording was of particular interest -- I have
: not found this practice mentioned in the Rambam but was wondering if
: anybody else is aware of him mentioning it.

According to his BY, it's in the Rif and the Rosh.

As for the wording... IIRC, it was an Ashkenazi minhag. Apparently the
SA liked it and wished Sepharadios would adopt it as well. Thus his
"shenohagos lo laasos bo melakhah hu minhag tov". He couldn't actively
require a minhag his target audience didn't accept, so the Mechaver
advertises for it.

Micha Berger             "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
micha at aishdas.org        "I want to do it." - is weak.
http://www.aishdas.org   "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk