[Avodah] 10 Dibrot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Feb 11 13:25:58 PST 2019

On 11/2/19 1:22 pm, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
> The problem arose because these psukim used to be printed with both sets
> of ta'amim.  (A lot of them were above the letter -- thus ta'am "elyon",
> etc.).  When they were disentangled into ta'am elyon and ta'am tachton,
> R Breuer contends, a mistake was made.

Not unless this disentanglement happened centuries ago, which I don't
think it did.

> Might there be another piece of circumstantial evidence?  I always
> wondered: in what year/decade/century do we see the first suggestion
> that: "it's nine psukim because ..."

No later than the Mas'es Binyomin (1530-1620).   And it seems from his
explanation that the "disentangled" versions did not yet exist, since
his questioner can't make head or tail of the printed te'amim and he
explains them one by one.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper