[Avodah] 10 Dibrot

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Mon Feb 11 12:54:53 PST 2019

On February 11, 2019 at 3:44:16 PM EST, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> At the end of the day, the RBSO arranged things so that for centuries now
> Jews have been leining His 10 haDevarim (as Hashem calls them) as 9 pesuqim.

> From a causal perspective, I agree with RSM. From a teleological one,
> it's hard for me to dismiss that quickly a widely accepted minhag,
> discussed by generations of gedolei Torah.

What you say is not correct. Most Ashkenzim just follow what is in print,
no matter how you prove that it was a mistake on the printer's part.

You can be m'lammed zechus, but that is not the same as justifying it.

And the Teimanim have for 1,000 years been always reading it as 10, both
on Parshat Yitro and Parshat wa'ethchannan and on Shavu'ot. They had the
advantage of not being corrupted by the printed versions that changed it.

There are many other issues where you can properly use your teleology. But
a mistake remains a mistake according to halokho. It is still a meqqah
ta'ut.