[Avodah] Haftarah

elazar teitz emteitz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 06:21:22 PST 2019

RAkiva Miller cited:

"Artscroll's "Mourning in Halacha" by Rabbi Chaim Binyamin Goldberg
explains that it is not the reading of the haftarah that is important, but
the saying of the brachos. In chapter 40 footnote 32 he writes, "Yalkut
David (Yoreh De'ah #376) explains that the mourner reads the Haftarah of
the Prophets, because the blessings accompanying this reading include
prayer for the Redemption of Israel and the sanctification of the name of
Hashem, Blessed be He as in Kaddish."

I was taught (by my father z"l) that the connection of haftara to the aveil
is the first post-haftara b'racha, wherein we say "shekol d'varav emes
vatzedek;" i.e, tzidduk hadin.

And that saying the b'rachos, rather than the reading of the haftara, is
the main connection is obvious from the fact that even where the custom is
for the bal korey to read the haftara, priority is still given to the aveil
for maftir.

EMT