[Avodah] Government Shutdown and Chalav Yisrael

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 14 12:14:29 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 03:04:09PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: Dairy safety inspection is a state matter.   (I can personally
: testify that the inspectors who come to NY dairy farms are from the
: state.  I have no personal knowledge of who comes to the plants, but
: my understanding is that it's the same people.)

According to the OU as well, the inspection is actually done by state
agencies. The USDA has standard that at minimum the state agency must
comply to.

So, a shutdown of the relevant state government may be an issue, but
if the dairy would then have to ship across state lines to reach you,
the USDA would have to get involved anyway.

The call in which I obtained that info led to me speaking to a few people
at OU kosher about the chaos and conflicting claims I've seen on-line,
and I was told that they will be putting up a statement about it. Check
their Facebook page or web site, I guess.

All of which is off-topic for this list, I just wanted to wrap up
the halakhah lemaaseh, since I did speak to an institution most of the
chalav stam consuming public would follow.

In terms of the theory, see my prior post on this thread
<http://lists.aishdas.org/pipermail/avodah-aishdas.org/2019q1/043511.html>.
I think that if inspections would be temporarily halted (say, in case of
that state shut-down), it would really depend on whether we follow RMF
that all Ashkenazim really follow the Chasam Sofer, or if the rabbanim
who were meiqilim before the Igeros Moshe were really setting up a norm
to follow the Peri Chadash.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter