[Avodah] peelers-borer

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Dec 21 07:34:20 PST 2018

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 05:43:37AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: From a write-up on borer and peelers:
:
: > "peelers for peels that are generally eaten with the fruit," (are
: > "viewed as a sophisticated knife")[me- and thus not borer]
:
: 1.which requires definition of how we determine "generally" (wo, essex
: county, us, world...............)

I could understand why the peel normally being eaten might mitigate
boreir, as there is no pesoles. But how does it change the status of
the peeler?

In any case, the AhS (OC 391:22, but the discussion starts at se'if
19 <https://www.sefaria.org/Arukh_HaShulchan%2C_Orach_Chaim.319.19>)
only talks about peeling lots of (harbeih) garlic or onions, where he
accepts the fact that it is boreier, despite being confused about how it
even caqn be borer. There is a clear gemara (Beitza 13b) that says that
Ravs and Rav Chiyya's wives would peel barley for them on Shabbos. And
the AhS wants to know why garlic or onion would be any different.

He therefore concludes that the issur isn't peeling, but the separating
of the peels once they're mixed into in the heap. He explains the BY's
source Y-mi accordingly.

I should point out that when I was a child, no one I knew identified
peeling as a form of boreir. Seems it may have been beshitah, and not
ignorance.

The AhS also talks (se'if 9) about non-mixtures, items that are nir'im
la'ayin, like clothes, keilim and books. I do not know what he means by
keilim, picking out forks from a jumble in the drawer?

I bring this up because this issue was also something I didn't hear
of until YU.

Seems to me boreir grew a lot when the MB became "poseiq acharon" for
all y'all.

(Minus Sepharadim, of course, who limit boreir to literal okhel, IIUC.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org   if you're alive, it isn't.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Richard Bach