[Avodah] contact sports

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 01:30:25 PST 2018

<< Can a parent permit a child to wound them? If yes, why are there such
problems for a doctor to treat their parent (assuming others can provide
similar care)?

What about voluntary surgery, eg cosmetic surgery not for shidduchim or
another devar mitzvah? >>

Certainly mechila works on some level. There are stories of RAL in his
younger years playing basketball with the students. Once a student
complained that it wasn;t fair because they could not block their rebbe.
RAL answered that in playing ball not to treat him as a rebbe.
Certainly we are talking about minor contact and not severe wounding

Kibud Av ve- Em is a step beyond ordinary treatment of others especially
causing a loss of blood. From what I have seen the standard psak is that a
doctor should preferably not treat a parent for anything requiring
incisions or blood. However, for anything serious that the child is better
than others than certainly, he is the doctor of choice.

I recall that RMF allows cosmetic surgery only foord "god reasons". This
incliudes feeling embarrased by one's appearance and also improvements
especially for women for shidduch persons. I assume he would not be happy
with various facial "improvements" for senior citizens

--
Eli Turkel