[Avodah] Chanukah Party and Lighting the Menorah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 17 09:14:54 PST 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:33:18PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:             But the Igros Moshe OC 4:105:7 says that one *can* say the
: brachos in such a case, and he points out that this is also the
: opinion of the Chemed Moshe, cited by the author of the MB in Shaar
: Hatziyun 672:17, and that the Shaar Hatziyun concludes, "if one wants
: to act like that, we don't stop him."

Going back to the SA (OC 677:3) the mechaber says that *yeish omerim*
that if you light at home alone after others have lit there without you,
you make the berakhos. Interestingly, the se'if opens "yeish omerim",
it's the only opinion quoted.

The Rama quote the Mordechai that this is because he is obligated to
see the neiros, vekhein nohagim.

Ateres Zeqeinim ad loc quotes the Maharash: veyeish cholqin. So,
if you want to be machmir to light, (he calls it "rotzeh lahchamir")
light without a berakhah.

The Maharil says that once you light on your own, you showed you didn't
want to be yotzei with the earlier lighting, so you weren't. And that's
why it's not a berakhah levatalah.

The picture I'm trying to show here is that the discussion about the
berakhah appears to be because this is after someone else lit for the
home. Not because you're alone.

And, if I understand the Mordechai correctly, he appears to be saying
that whether or not the purpose of the mitzvah is pirsumei nisah,
the actual mitzvah includes just seeing the lights. Perhaps because
even internalizing the neis I myself already know about intellectually
qualifies as "pirsum". But that's not how R' Moshe discusses it. He
simply says that pirsum isn't me'aqeiv.

Micha Berger             You are not a human being in search
micha at aishdas.org        of a spiritual experience. You are a
http://www.aishdas.org   spiritual being immersed in a human
Fax: (270) 514-1507      experience. - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin