[Avodah] Minyan Choices

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 11 13:10:25 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 01:10:16PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: If you were in a situation where you could only pray with a minyan
: once that day (Shacharit or mincha-assume a non-Torah reading day),
: which would you choose? Why? Would your answer be the same if it were
: an ongoing situation?

I hope you are really what I would choose, and not what I should choose.
Because lehalakhah, Qdushah and the greater number of Qaddeishim give
priority to Shacharis. Not to mention there being no heter in the morning
to compromise the mitzvah at hand for plans of a later mitzvah.

But what I would prefer is minchah, in a heartbeat. Shacharis has all
that lead in. By the time we get to Shema and Shemoneh Esrei, I can
have kavanah. Minchah -- minyan allows for a greater change of context.
Here I am coming from the workplace, the only prep is Ashrei (or an
abbreviated Qorbanos and Ashrei). I need the minyan to have any likelihood
of feeling anything.

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507