[Avodah] Handicapped Accessibility in Jerusalem

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Fri Oct 5 06:14:47 PDT 2018

Orach Chayim 150:2 (it seems to me) teaches the halacha that - all else being equal - the town's shul should be built at the highest point in town. I can certainly see the kavod and prestige that would result from such a location, but wouldn't this also make it difficult for the weak and elderly? I can't imagine that this halacha was speaking only to communities of young folks.

At face value, this halacha seems to be teaching that the accessibility needs of the minority are less important than the impression that the edifice would make upon the majority. Can this really be?

I----------------------------------
IMHO Thomas Kuhn’s thoughts on paradigm shift are applicable here.  Western liberal thought is very focused on the individual, AIUI traditional Jewish thought is more on the klal with each individual playing their role and being fulfilled with that role no matter what it be (e.g. I might like to do the avodah but I’m not a cohain)  So yes, it could really be (but I’m not qualified to say it is)
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.