[Avodah] Longevity of Minhag haMakom

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Oct 4 06:19:57 PDT 2018

When was there no Jewish community in Israel? I was under the impression
that while the Sanhedrin ceased, and Yeshivas presumably ceased, there
was always a Jewish community there. Especially by the early Gaonim,
Israel was no longer under Roman rule anyways.
The gemara (Bava Metziah 83b) discusses what hours a worker gets paid for based on the Torah "standard." The gemara queries why not just find out what local practice is? The first answer is it's a case of a new city which was nkutai. Rashi defines nkutai as meaning its residents came from multiple other cities, with multiple other practices. Perhaps this is a model for minhag?
New Question: In establishing new city practices, should there be a preference for the Torah "standard" or did the Torah only set a standard for default situations but really doesn't see it as a paradigm or care what we do?
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.