[Avodah] Yasis Alayikh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 26 14:56:32 PDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 12:40:16AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: "Never"? A good example of where it clearly *does* have that meaning would
: be Devarim 24:1 - "Ki yikach ish ishah uv'alah", which Kiddushin 4b
: understands as "a woman can be acquired via biah."

Which it has to, because "ki yiqach" refers to qiddushin in general. Thus
qedushin via kesef is learned from g"sh "qichah qichah miSdei Efron".

So, if it "uvaalah" referred to becoming a husband, the pasuq would
be repetitive.

As for our pasuq in Yeshaiyah, the middle clause is jarring. Neither
marriage nor sexual intimacy are metaphors one would mix with the
parent-child metaphor.

I am surprised I am the first to quote this contrary use of "sas al":
"Sas anokhi al imrasekha, kemotzei shalal rav." (Tehillim 119:162)
So "sas al" is a normal prepositional phrase for "rejoicing about".

It really boils down to the context provided by the reiaha of the
pasuq.

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller