[Avodah] How should one wash their hands upon waking in the morning on Yom Kippur?

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 17 13:55:56 PDT 2018

>From today's OU Kosher Halacha  Yomis

Q. How should one wash their hands upon waking in the morning on Yom Kippur?

A. Shulchan Aruch (OC 613:1-2) writes that the prohibition of washing on Yom Kippur applies only to one who washes for enjoyment. If one’s hands become dirty, one is permitted to wash off the dirt. Similarly, one may wash one’s hands upon waking in the morning to remove ru’ach ra’ah. Because this encompasses an element of danger as well, washing to remove the ru’ach ra’ah is considered even more of a necessity than washing off dirt. Although the rest of the year, we are careful to wash our entire hand three times, on Yom Kippur we wash three times only up until and including the knuckles (i.e. until the palm), since strictly speaking that is enough to remove ru’ach ra’ah. The Chazon Ish (Orchos Rabbeinu II, p. 207) held that one need not be concerned if some water goes past the knuckles, since this washing is not intended for enjoyment. After Yom Kippur, one should wash the entire hand three times (Luach Davar B’ito cited by Piskei Teshuvos 624:1).