[Avodah] kaddish yatom by non-mourner

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 26 14:45:49 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 12:55:33AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: I believe there is a disagreement as to whether a request like this
: is covered by kavod av. If it is not, why wouldn't the child have the
: right to say he wants the mitzvah of getting the congregation to say
: yhei shmei rabba (or at least ask the parent to ask for guidance from
: their halachic authority)

This makes sense to me. Unlike my own case, where the motive is saying
qaddish for a daughter* on her yahrzeit. There is no loss to the minyan,
typically, as we aren't talking about a minyan where everyone else has
living parents with an equal right to be maqpidim.

(* Kayli a"h was born first day sh"m Sukkos, so this is particularly on
my mind...)

I guess the question is whether a missed qaddish is enough to trump
kivud av va'eim, or does it have to be that they asked the child to
violate a full fledged lav or to ignore a chiyuv asei.

Micha Berger             The same boiling water
micha at aishdas.org        that softens the potato, hardens the egg.
http://www.aishdas.org   It's not about the circumstance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but rather what you are made of.