[Avodah] Numbers 20:11 and Exodus 17:6

Jay F. Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Thu Sep 20 06:25:43 PDT 2018

>> I am utterly puzzled by this Zohar, because tzur and sela` are two
>> totally different words that mean different things.  Their meanings
>> don't even overlap.
>
> 2. Second, even if it is so, the water came from a tzur, so what's the
> problem?

I am astonished at your question.  In Numbers 20:11, the water came
from a sela`.  This was the occasion when Moshe sinned.  The intent of
the Zohar is that Moshe was referring to the occasion of his sin, that
he was not ignoring or minimizing it.  Exodus 17:6 describes water
coming from a tsur, nearly 40 years earlier, but that was not an
occasion when Moshe sinned.  The Zohar was clearly and obviously
referring to Numbers 20:11 and not to Exodus 17:6, so your question
astonishes me.

                        Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"