[Avodah] Slichos without a minyan before midnight

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:48:25 PDT 2018

R' Yitzchak Levine wrote:
"I personally do not understand where the custom to say the first
Slichos at night came from.  My father-in-law, A"H,  told me that in
Europe selichos were said every day in the early morning starting at
about 4 am.

The Vo'Sikin  Minyan I daven at will be saying Selichos this Sunday
morning and every morning stating at 5:10 DST which is equivalent to
4:10 AM EST.  This agrees with the practice that  my father-in-law
saw in Europe."

The 5:10AM - 4:10AM is irrelevant. Selichos are supposed to be said
b'ashmores haboker, before alos hashachar. Alos Hashachar in Brooklyn now
is 5:03 so you are not saying selichos at the optimal time either.