[Avodah] Slichos without a minyan before midnight

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 5 10:59:17 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 09:36:38AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: The minyan I davened at that started selichos at 5:10 am on Sunday
: morning changed the language and did not say b'moztei menucha.."   I
: do not recall what the shelach Tzebor said.  Do we know what the
: original Nusach was? ...

BeMotza'ei Menuchah is mentioned by the Leqet Yosher, a talmid of the Terumas
haDeshen. The Leqet Yosher was written between 1463 and 1488 CE by R'
Yosef bar Moshe. In general, considered about as definitively R' Moshe
Isserlein's thought at the Terumas haDeshen itself.

In any case, we've been saying the exact word "bemotza'ei menuchah"
since enough before 1488 that the LY already described it as ancient
and the author unknown.

(I found it in this machzor from Salzburg, 1794, "Seder haMechzor keMinhag
Ashkenazim"
<https://books.google.com/books?id=k51EAAAAcAAJ&lpg=PP125&pg=PP125>)

Micha Berger             The meaning of life is to find your gift.
micha at aishdas.org        The purpose of life
http://www.aishdas.org   is to give it away.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Pablo Picasso