[Avodah] May a non-observant Jew be counted towards a minyan?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 23 08:01:44 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:51:37PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
:                            Rav Moshe Feinstein, zt"l (Igros Moshe OC 1:23)
: writes that if no one else is available one may include a non-believer
: as well in a minyan and recite Kaddish, Kedusha and Barchu. Rav Moshe
: reasons that the basis for a minyan is derived from the ten spies. The
: ten spies rebelled against G-d, and yet they constituted a minyan. If so,
: we see that all Jews may be included in a minyan, especially a Jew that
: was never taught to be observant (tinok she'nishbah).

Four separate comments:

RMF doesn't mention tinoq shenishba. He just says it's permissible to
count mechallelei Shabbos and other mumarim. I assume the last sentence
I quoted was intended to mean "we see" -- we of the OU see from the IM --
and not part of the paraphrase of the teshuvah.

The presentation is that RMF wrote "Nevertheless", ie despite the
prior sources including the SA. However, he cites the SA (siman 69),
as a source that we don't need 10 participants, but 10 mechuyavim.

Notably the title includes "beshe'as hadechaq".

I think RMF would have agreed with RALichtenstein's caveat, but I am
just guessing based on how the teshuvah is framed, that the meshalel
Shabbos still has to believe in HQBH and that tefillah is meaningful.

Micha Berger             "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
micha at aishdas.org        excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
http://www.aishdas.org   'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
Fax: (270) 514-1507      trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya