[Avodah] To Whom Should One Pray At A Tzaddik's Kever?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Aug 22 13:46:28 PDT 2018

On 22/08/18 10:50, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I would think,
> as you implied elsewhere, that the Tanya's "tzadiq" was meant as an
> archetype to strive for. But if this is your standard, an archetype
> noone has ever and can ever fully embody.

On the contrary, the Tanya insists there have been and are tzadikim, who
have no yetzer hara at all, or else the world could not exist. "HKBH saw
that tzadikim are few, so He planted them in each generation."

The example from whom the Tanya (ch 1) derives its definition of a
tzadik is David, who wrote "my heart is hollow within me", and its
source for the difficulty in determining whether one is a tzadik or a
benoni is Rabba, who mistook himself for a benoni until Abaye objected
that he must be a tzadik for if he was not then there must be no
tzadikim at all, and nothing could live in such a world.  The iconic
example of the merkava, the "car" that responds completely to its
Driver, is the Avos.  "Avos hein hein hamerkava."

What it says is that one cannot achieve this by ones own effort; one
must try to come as close as one can, and ask for Divine help to take
one the rest of the way. But this help is not always forthcoming, and
if/when it does come one does not perceive it, so one can never be sure
whether one got it.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper