[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 2 07:07:40 PDT 2018

I am wondering if calling 6pm or sunset "zero hours" when announcing
the molad rather than 6pm / 1800 is an Edot haMizrach thing.

The Gra shul has (had?) a clock that ran on the old Ottoman system
"Alaturca", and someone set the clock to 6 every evening at sheqi'ah.
Meaning that from the first day of summer through the first day of winter,
when sunset is slightly before the end of 24 hours, Yom Revi'i could
have no 5:59pm. Meanwhile, in the other half of the year, when days are
getting shorter, one could have 6:01pm Or laYom Revi'i, 24 hours later
6:01pm Yom Revi'i, and then 6pm Or laYom Chamishi.

Every shul I know of use Western hours. But that's entirely Ashkenazi
data.

Micha Berger                 Time flies...
micha at aishdas.org                    ... but you're the pilot.
http://www.aishdas.org                       - R' Zelig Pliskin
Fax: (270) 514-1507