[Avodah] The Molad of Tamuz

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jul 1 22:52:00 PDT 2018

On 02/07/18 00:21, Richard Fiedler wrote:
> With all due respect I believe the real error comes from the non-traditional use of minutes into the system.

Since when is it not traditional?  This is how people have been telling
time for centuries.  And I do not accept, without evidence, your
assertion that there are many shuls where the molad is announced in the
antique style where midnight is referred to as the sixth hour.  Which
shuls do this, exactly?

> 6:05 PM when sunset is 6:45 PM implies the event happened on the
> previous day before sunset.
No, it does not.  You are arguing a ridiculous position that you
yourself do not really beleive; if you have an appointment on Wednesday
at 6 you know exactly when that is, regardless of whether it's summer or
winter.  Not once will you mistakenly show up a day early.

> Zero hours and 97 chalakim implies the event happened after the
> start of the next day, i.e. after sunset.

That is completely wrong.  Sunset is irrelevant to the time of the
molad.  The molad is calculated on a 24-hour clock, so the "zeroth hour"
is 6:00 PM, not sunset.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper