[Avodah] Benefits of Davening K'Vosikin

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:10:22 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> "Vasikin" describes my grandfather a"h's minyan at the kotel. They were
> all vasiqin; the youngest regular was over 80. And davening neitz is AZ,
> a form of zoolatry. Wikipedia tells me they worshipped hawks in Etype
> (in the form of Horus), Hawaii, Fiji and North Borneo.

This is one of the things that really grinds my gears too. Placards went up
recently on the street corners in my neighbourhood pointing towards one of
the local shuls and advertising "tefilla banetz", and I cringe every time I
go past.

But I try to be melamed zechut on Am Yisrael. There is a noun "ketz" from
the root KTZTZ meaning "end", why shouldn't there be a noun "netz" from the
root "NTZTZ" meaning "shining" or "sunrise"? There certainly is such a word
meaning "bud", it occurs in Bereishit 40:10 in the sar hamashkim's
description of his dream and in Hazal.