[Avodah] The Real Shiurim -- They're Smaller Than You Think

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 14 12:19:14 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 02:51:40PM -0400, Saul Guberman via Avodah wrote:
:                                             My daughter informed me that
: one of her seminary Rabbonim wrote a sefer on measurements and his are even
: smaller than RMW. Here is a link. http://margolin.ravpage.co.il/kzayitbook
: It seems to me that everyone is making assumptions and leaps somewhere in
: the base of their calculation.

But does that prevent their pesaqim from being binding? In other words,
the vast majority of the observant community accept that a kezayis
is somewhere between the Rambam's estimate and the Chazon Ish's. Does
that mean that regardless of what an archeologist might prove an actual
olive's volume was, lehalakhah a shitah outside that range would be
invalid anyway?

We know the ammah changed in size over the centuries between Sinai
and Churban Bayis Sheini. Is this due to a change in height of people
causing a change in shiur, or is it that pesaqim in shiurim are more
binding than historical reality?

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Malchus: What type of justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            does unity demand?