[Avodah] The Real Shiurim -- They're Smaller Than You Think

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:51:40 PDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> RMWillig has a kezayis of 22.5cc, and writes that Middos veShiurei
> haTorah pg 277 reports matzah has half the weight of an equivalent
> volume of water. So, RMW says a kezayi matzah weighs 11.25gm. (1cc of
> water weighs 1gm, by definition. So, the weight of 2cc of matzah is 1gm.)
> We buy matzah by the pound, so you can estimate a kazayis pretty
> accurately if you know how many matzos are in a 1lb box. (2lb boxes,
> divide by 2, naturally.) There are 40.3 or so kezeisim in a pound.
>
> matzos / lb  ->  kezayis matzah
>  6  ->  2/13 of a matzah
>  7  ->  1/6
>  8  ->  1/5
>  9  ->  2/9
> 10  ->  1/4
>
> :-)BBii!
> -Micha

I wish I had remembered to use this at the seder.   My rabbi tells me that
he got an electric scale this year and had the grandkids make shiurim bags
for the sedorim on erev pesach.  Has the benefit of having something for
the kids to do and moves the seder along.
When I mentioned to my Rabbi that I was looking into smaller shiurim,that
are smaller than the plastic sheet that is so popular, he was not
interested in continuing the conversation.  My daughter informed me that
one of her seminary Rabbonim wrote a sefer on measurements and his are even
smaller than RMW. Here is a link. http://margolin.ravpage.co.il/kzayitbook
It seems to me that everyone is making assumptions and leaps somewhere in
the base of their calculation.

Saul