[Avodah] melucha

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Thu May 10 21:13:50 PDT 2018

IIRC the Ramban writes that David took a census because he made a
mistake, he thought that the issur didn't apply anymore. I found that
Ramban to be shocking. How is it that no one, no rav, no navi, came to
David and said "No, you can't do that"?  Answer - David never bothered
to ask and no one had the job of being his poseik.

Similarly, there are certain acts that the chachamim praised Hezkiyahu
for doing and others that they disagreed with him. I read that as
meaning "after he made the decisions, the rabbanim weighed in".

I don't get the feeling from any navi that they stood by the sides of
the kings and told them "yes you  can do this, no, you can't do that".
They only weighed in when society or the melucha was totally out of
sync. or when they were specifically consulted or when God told them "Go
to the king".

I admit that there is an incredible tension between even the good kings,
the ones trying to rule according to the Torah, and the prophets (forget
the evil kings). The former  were not able to live up to the
expectations of the latter.