[Avodah] Rashbi

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 10 08:15:24 PDT 2018

On 10/05/18 05:43, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> << > OTOH there is the gemara?that when there was the dispute in Yavneh
>> between Rabban Gamliel and R. Yehoshua it wasRashbithat was involved.
>
> I've looked at all three disputes, in Rosh Hashana 25a, Bechoros 36a,
> and Berachos 27b, and I could not find any mention of R Shimon.
>

> Look on Berachos 28a at the end of the sugya 3rd line in the widest
> lines near the bottom
> and the student that originally asked the question was R Shimon Ban Yochai

Thank you.

> Rabbi Akiva was involved in the Bar Kochba revolt and so died about
> 130-135 CE.

Why do you suppose he was killed around that time rather than much
later?  If he was killed then, then he would have been born around 10-15
CE, have started learning Torah around 15-20 years before the churban,
and have come back home with all those talmidim 4-9 years after it.

Doesn't it seem more likely that his Torah learning started after the
churban, and after Kalba Savua had resettled somewhere and reestablished
himself, which would mean his death was also several decades after Bar
Kochva?

> Rabban Gamliel is assumed to have died about 20 years earlier (see eg
> wikipedia on Gamliel II)
 >
> It is difficult to believe that the students of R Akiva died before the
> story in Yavne when  R Yeshoshua, R Tarfon, R Gamliel etc were all alive.

Why is this at all difficult to believe?  What makes it difficult?

> So the assumption is that the students of R Akiva died about the time of
> the Bar Kocba revolt whether in battle or from disease is irrelevant

If you assume both that the students died then and that he himself died
then, then when did he have time to teach his five new students?

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper