[Avodah] Rashbi

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu May 10 02:43:30 PDT 2018

<< > OTOH there is the gemara?that when there was the dispute in Yavneh
> between Rabban Gamliel and R. Yehoshua it was Rashbi that was involved.

I've looked at all three disputes, in Rosh Hashana 25a, Bechoros 36a,
and Berachos 27b, and I could not find any mention of R Shimon.

Look on Berachos 28a at the end of the sugya 3rd line in the widest lines
near the bottom
and the student that originally asked the question was R Shimon Ban Yochai

Rabbi Akiva was involved in the Bar Kochba revolt and so died about 130-135
CE.
Rabban Gamliel is assumed to have died about 20 years earlier (see eg
wikipedia on Gamliel II)
It is difficult to believe that the students of R Akiva died before the
story in Yavne when
R Yeshoshua, R Tarfon, R Gamliel etc were all alive.
So the assumption is that the students of R Akiva died about the time of
the Bar Kocba revolt whether in battle or from disease is irrelevant

--
Eli Turkel