[Avodah] Lag B'Omer

Professor L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue May 1 04:40:42 PDT 2018

Please see https://goo.gl/ESJERH for two links to a talk given by Rabbi Dr. Shnyer Leiman titled The Strange History of Lag B'Omer.

Please see https://goo.gl/s2KHAVfor

[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<https://goo.gl/s2KHAV>

The Spreading Fires Of Lag Baomer: Tempting Quick & Easy ‘Spirituality’ vs. Enduring Ruchnius<https://goo.gl/s2KHAV>
goo.gl
In the past we have discussed at length (5771, 5772, 5773A, 5773B, and 5773C) how Lag Baomer is marked in minhag Ashkenaz, and contrasted it with other, more recent customs, that have become popula…

See https://goo.gl/Hc6as9

Five Things You Should Know About Lag B'Omer
Number 2  is

There is no evidence that anyone at all celebrated Lag B'Omer before the 17th century. (Please correct me if you have evidence otherwise.) No less an authority than Chasam Sofer was strongly opposed to Lag B'Omer celebrations. He argued that one should not make a new Yom Tov that is not based on a miraculous event, that has no basis in Shas and Poskim, and that is based on the death of someone. (See here<http://treasuresofashkenaz.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/no-no-no-no-no-minhag-ashkenaz-on-lag-baomer/> for links.)

See https://goo.gl/Zma8pS
[https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<https://goo.gl/Zma8pS>

No – No – No – No – No – Minhag Ashkenaz & Recent Lag Ba’omer Innovations – חגיגת ל”ג בעומר ע”פ מנהג אשכנז, ללא מירון, חאלאקא, מדורה, ח”י רוטל<https://goo.gl/Zma8pS>
goo.gl
Yes, it is that time of the year again. Lag ba’omer is almost here. And with it, all the hype and solicitations for trips to Meron, Chai Rotel Mashkeh donations, upsherin, bonfires, and the l…

YL