[Avodah] Some thoughts on the passing of a teacher and friend

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sat Apr 21 11:54:12 PDT 2018

With the greatest trepidation I will share a few thoughts. I knew (to the extent one can know someone) R'Ozer Yeshaya Glickman Hacohain Z"L for 40 years. In the early years we learned together. He certainly was far more able than I but we did discuss many tum issues over the years. I don't think he would be happy being held up as a unicorn even though his blending of both worlds was the reason he felt he was asked by the Yeshiva to be "on the road" so much. I believe he felt that anyone could do what he did at their own level. When the hurley burleys done the question the yeshiva needs to ask itself imho is have they encouraged (or perhaps should they-my uninformed sense is that RIETS looks at the separate mountain approach as a vision -a la r'ybs) broad lives( a la r'hutner) in any of their best and brightest? do they seek out role models of that nature or only exceptional examples in specific accomplishments (e.g big TC or big $ but not a balancer)? Balancing priorities is a big challenge in life, if one wants to honor R'OYG Z"L imho one might start with some cheshbon hanefesh looking at his balance and its message for us (no two of us will likely reach the same conclusions but that's what is to be expected-it's the process not the results) yhi zichro baruch

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.