[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

hankman hankman at bell.net
Mon Apr 16 17:58:57 PDT 2018

In my previous post responding R’ Marty Bluke I wrote:
“in our time the level of yira and emuna they might achieve may be more readily attained through a more readily available scientific study of the wonders of the very small and the vastness of the very large and the highly  intricate and awe inspiring workings of the biological world at all scales and the beauty in how it all fits together so perfectly and so beautifully described by mathematics.”

Upon reflection I wish to add to my previous thought about “the highly  intricate and awe inspiring workings of the biological world at all scales and the beauty in how it all fits together so perfectly” can lead to great awe and yiras harommeimus and emuna. I have no doubt that the pasuk jn Iyov (19:26) “umibesori echezeh eloka” is a direct expression in Nach of this idea that my very tissues (biological systems) are great evidence and testimony to the the existence of the Borei Olam and His careful and intricate design and continuing hashgacha of the very smallest and finest, myriad intricate details of every living thing. It basically is the old argument that the existence of a complex system such as a clock implies that there must be a clock maker – but ever so much in spades.

Kol tuv,
Chaim Manaster

---
http://www.avg.com