[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Studies

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Apr 11 03:23:23 PDT 2018

I can go on; my thesis is that there is not much basis to the argument that
a well-rounded education makes much of a difference in understanding Torah.
What would be much more efficient and effective would be a focused companion
sefer to Shas that gives the background on those sugyos that need some
secular knowledge in order to understand them.
-----------------------------
Bingo-and probably true on a micro level but not, I fear, on a macro level.

I used to tell my boys that 80% (not based on a study but the handy 80/20) rule)of what they learned would not be used later, the problem is you don't know which 20% will be.
Look here for the background of the inventor of the m-16 and you'll see what he brought together https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Stoner
Kt
Joel rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.